An evening of climate services, ethics and networking, Leeds, 27th November
Join us in Leeds on November 27th for an evening of climate services, ethics, and networking. Throughout the evening, we’ll be exploring ethical questions in climate services from a diverse range of speakers with governmental, non-profit, academic, and private climate service perspectives. A round of lightning talks will introduce you to the ethical questions and dilemmas, exploring questions such as how should climate services be regulated, if at all, and who gets to decide? How do you ethically convey complex information to a non-expert audience without unintended consequences? How can we best consider vulnerable populations when conducting work in climate adaptation? What ethical quandaries are inherent in communicating risk?
The rest of the evening will be dedicated to networking for the UK climate adaptation community
The event is open to attend for anyone across the UK.
17:00 Registration and drinks reception
Welcome: Suraje Dessai, UK Climate Resilience Programme Champion
17:45 Showcase talks from climate change and adaptation professionals working in creative, finance, and media industries
- Jillian Schacher, ReactCC: An overview of the ethics of climate services
- Kristen Guida, London Climate Change Partnership: The consideration of vulnerable populations in climate-related work
- Doogie Black, Trioss: Ethical considerations within sustainable development and climate change strategy
- Vicky Lucas, Institute for Environmental Analytics: Ethics of big data and the environment in climate services
- Candice Howarth, Grantham Institute: The ethics of science communication
The information about the speakers is being updated. Please check back for the updates.
18:20 Community announcements (if you have a climate change or adaptation related announcement to make, please alert the organiser firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the 26th November)
18:30 Networking – drinks and canape reception with five star catering led by Executive Chef and Master Chef finalist Tom Rennolds